Do you always feel busy and overwhelmed? You feel like you’re not getting anything done, yet you feel overwhelmed and exhausted. Do you feel like there are not enough hours to achieve everything you want to? Here are tips to help you get the most out of your day.
• Eliminate all distractions. It is very easy to get distracted by notifications and messages when working. Try as much as possible to remove all likely distractions from your work area such as phone notifications when you want to start working. Try to do as much of your work offline as possible.
• Be organized but stay flexible. It is important for you to schedule your day and prioritize your tasks in order of importance. Always make a list of the things you want to accomplish during the day and leave time in your daily schedule for unexpected events. Be prepared to move things around.
• Do the most unappealing tasks first. Go through your to-do list, find the tasks that you wish you didn’t have to do – the ones that you know you most likely won’t do if you had the chance – then do them. This way, you get your difficult tasks out of the way and can now focus on doing the things you enjoy.
• Two-minute rule. If a task will take you two minutes or less to complete, do it immediately and move on. Procrastinating will only make your work pile up, making it look like you have a mountain of things to do and leave you overwhelmed.
• Rest. When you have a lot of work to do, it is easy to ignore sleep and think of it as unimportant. However, not getting enough rest will only make you more tired and less productive than you could be.
• Learn to say no. Sometimes you have to turn down requests. If you say yes to every request you get, you can’t be productive because you’ll be spreading yourself too thing. Learn to say no when you feel that you won’t be able to take on any more tasks.
• Reward yourself for completing tasks. Rewards serve as motivation to get things done. Give yourself a treat for accomplishing what you set out to achieve. You will be more likely to work faster if you have something to look forward to at the end of it. Your treat could be an intangible thing, such as a 20-minute break from work to do whatever you want.
• Make a “done” list. It is important to make a list of what you have accomplished so far. It does not matter whether it is a big thing or a small thing. This is different from crossing things off a to-do list, as seeing your done list grow will motivate you to achieve more.
• Use technology. There is an app for almost any and everything. There are many tasks that can be made easier with the right tools. If you own a smartphone, there are tons of productivity apps to help you save time and accomplish tasks quickly and easily. Apps such as dropbox and google doc help you organize and share files; Evernote and google keep help you take and make notes; IFTTT, which stands for “If This Then That,” is a great tool for automating personal notifications and social media actions online; any.do, trello and asana are great tools for keeping track of tasks.