Our intern for this week is Jennifer Nwankwere, a certified customer care professional and quality assurance/quality control professional who is currently interning as a Customer service and admin officer.
1. What school are you in or did you finish from? Course of study?
I am a graduate of Biochemistry from Abia State University.
2. What organization are you currently interning with and what is your job description?
I am interning with Color Sense Limited as a Customer service/Admin Officer.
3. Why did you decide to take on this internship and what were your expectations?
After searching for a full time job for 3months and realising that every employer wanted a level of experience, I decided to apply for an internship to acquire knowledge and experience.
4. Has the internship met up with your expectations?
Learning as an intern here is quite challenging especially if you have no one to directly ask questions. You have to use your initiative to figure out how to run some operations.
5. What is the weirdest or most interesting thing that has happened since you started?
The weirdest thing happened on my first interview when I was told they were looking for an intern with few YEARS experience. On the other hand, working in a new environment that involves their line of business is quite interesting. I am exposed to colour artistry, though not practically. I also get to know new places and meet people.
6. How has the internship changed you or your mindset so far?
I had the notion that once you are given a partiular position, that position ONLY is your business. I was wrong. Here, everything is your business. I am gradually learning to take care of the business like it were mine.
7. Tell us something interesting or weird about yourself.
I don’t know how to qualify this detail; whether interesting or weird. It is a popular saying by interviewees that “I am motivated by challenges”, “I am able to work under pressure” e.t.c. Deep down for me, whenever pressure or challenges increase, what motivates me to face them is eating a hearty meal.
8. Are there any tips you would love to give to prospective interns?
Internship is more than the eaning implies and the experience varies with the organization you find yourself. Even though you find yourself in an environment where you do not get as much help as you should or you find yourself doing a totally different thing from your job description, use it as an opportunity to learn for no knowledge is a waste. Always apply a positive attitude while doing your job; there and then will you have a great internship experience.